Heaven on a plate comes in the form of home made, light, fluffy and buttery biscuits. The perfect treat on a cool fall morning with a hot cup of coffee and the Wall Street Journal. Even better is how easy they are to make. A fast, fresh, on the fly breakfast favorite for my boys, I love when they come bounding down into the kitchen asking for hot fresh biscuits… since momma gets to indulge too! Make yourself a plate full of heaven tomorrow morning and take a few extra minutes to spoil yourself.
Best Drop Biscuits
From Cooks Illustrated: The Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2009
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and pre heat oven to 475. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk all the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl.
3. Combine in a separate bowl the melted butter (cooled a bit) and buttermilk and stir until the butter forms small chunks.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just incorporated and the batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and drop on parchment paper.
5. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, about 12 minutes.